Areas of Emphasis
Occupational Safety and Health
Safety and Health
Labor and Employment
Mine Safety and Health
- Advises on employment, safety and health compliance issues; develops and implements employment, safety and health programs, including OSHA and MSHA required policies; supervises training and education; and, assists with or supervision of OSHA and MSHA inspections.
- Catastrophic and fatality accident investigation and coordination, including OSHA/MSHA, emergency response, law enforcement, insurance and public relations concerns.
- Defense of citations before the federal Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, the federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission, and numerous state plan occupational safety and health boards.
- Represents employers in state and federal court litigation involving claims of Title VII and ADA discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, invasion of privacy, employment contract and non-compete disputes, Family and Medical Leave Act, as well as various other employment law matters.
- Regularly provides advice to telecommunications client with respect to safety and health compliance issues.
- Represented client in fatality investigation conducted by the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Represented client in matter before the Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Administration involving allegation of unlawful denial of restroom breaks.
- Obtained Permanent Civil Protection Order on behalf of client with respect to threats made by former employee (New Belgium Brewing Co. v. Sutherland).
- Secretary of Labor v. Cargill Meat Solutions Corp., No. 10-1156 (Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, 2012) (In case of first impression, citations for non-payment of required footwear vacated.)
- United States of America v. Xcel Energy, Inc. et al., No. 09-cr-00389 (U.S. District Court, 2011) (Assisted criminal defense counsel in successful acquittal of OSHA criminal charges.)
- Member, American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section OSHA Committee
- Member, Colorado Safety Association
- Member, American Society of Safety Engineers
- Juris Doctor, high distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 2000
- First Vice-Chairperson, Moot Court program
- Member, Iowa Law Review
- Bachelor of Science, summa cum laude, Metropolitan State College of Denver, 1997