Areas of Emphasis
Corporation and Partnership Taxation
- Routinely provides advice to companies of all sizes regarding federal and state income tax issues, including tax advice concerning the acquisition and disposition of business entities and assets.
- Provides analysis and advice regarding potential ownership changes and net operating loss limitations under Section 382 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Provides tax advice to various companies in connection with various mergers and acquisitions.
- Serves as Colorado state and local sales and use tax counsel to a major international corporation and in connection therewith has obtained resolutions to sales and use tax matters pending before numerous Colorado jurisdictions.
- Advises cable and telecommunication companies on compliance with state transfer taxes; has provided counsel to clients regarding state transfer and income tax compliance with respect to operations in over 30 states.
- Routinely counsels clients facing audits and represents them in administrative proceedings before the Internal Revenue Service and the Colorado Department of Revenue.
- Successfully litigated and settled many cases in the U.S. Tax Court.
- Routinely advises on and prepares partnership agreements and operating agreements for a variety of business concerns.
- Provides tax advice concerning the structure and operation of private equity limited partnerships.
- Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, Ohio State University School of Law, 1989
- Editor, Ohio State Law Journal
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, magna cum laude, University of Akron, 1982
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers' 2011 Tax Lawyers of the Year, Denver, CO
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Tax and Non-Profit/Charities Law