633 Seventeenth Street
Denver, CO 80202
Email this attorney
Areas of Emphasis
- Successfully negotiated $14.8 million recovery for a general contractor in connection with a claim involving various public buildings.
- Recovered $12.65 million for a developer in connection with a complex environmental clean up of former Air Force base.
- On behalf of a trust company, successfully recovered more than $6 million in attorneys' fees and costs incurred in connection with a Bernard L. Madoff- related class action.
- Obtained jury verdict in excess of $4 million in a two week insurance bad faith lawsuit involving an insurance company's denial of coverage for an employment related lawsuit.
- Obtained a $1 million default judgment against an insurer in connection with a claim for coverage of a construction defect dispute.
- Successfully negotiated a $19 million insurance recovery for a municipality for damages arising from a defectively constructed water system which supplies water to 40% of the municipality's residents.
- On behalf of a trust company, successfully recovered $1.7 million in attorney's fees and costs incurred in connection with a breach of fiduciary duty claim under a Bankers Professional Liability policy.
- On behalf of a bank, successfully negotiated a $6 million recovery from an insurer under a directors' and officers' liability policy to settle claims asserted against the bank for alleged securities violations.
- Successfully negotiated recovery of $7million insurance recovery for general contract for the settlement of a multi-family residential construction defect lawsuit.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement of a multi-million dollar construction surety dispute during the middle of a three week trial.
- Successfully negotiated coverage for settlement of oil spill related personal injury claim involving $50 million in alleged damages.
- On behalf of a contractor, successfully negotiated payment in full by the client's insurer of a settlement in a $5 million construction defect claim involving a multi-unit condominium project.
- Successfully negotiated the reinstatement of a $3 million life insurance policy following the life insurance company's attempt to cancel the policy for alleged non-payment of premium.
- On behalf of a contractor, successfully negotiated the payment of a $4.5 million settlement by multiple insurers in connection with a construction defect claim relating to defective windows installed in a high end condominium project.
- On behalf of a developer, successfully negotiated the payment in full by the client's insurer of a settlement in a $1 million personal injury claim arising from the defective construction of a model home.
- On behalf of a prior owner of land, successfully negotiated the payment in full by the client's insurer of a settlement in a $1 million construction defect claim involving damages arising from a heaving soil condition.
- Successfully negotiated payment by a client's property insurer in connection with a claim for the cost to repair a college dormitory building owned and operated by the client which was damaged by fire.
- Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement of a $600,000 stop loss health insurance claim where the stop loss insurer sought improperly to rescind the policy.
- Vice-Chair, American Bar Association - Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, California Bar Association
- Member, Catholic Lawyers Guild
- Member, RIMS - The Risk Management Society - Rocky Mountain Chapter
Publications and Presentations
- The Risk Management Society, Rocky Mountain Chapter, September 26, 2013, "The Expanding Role of the Risk Manager"
- There's Something In The Air: Coverage for Climate Change, Air Emissions, and Oil Spills - ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section - 2011 Midyear Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Resolving Catastrophic Multi-Party Construction Insurance Cases - American Bar Association 2010 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Webinar - Managing Public Construction In A Challenging Economy - May 12, 2010
- Insurance Coverage Issues Arising Out Of The 2009 Financial Crisis - Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2010 Midyear Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Stipulated Judgments & Garnishment - The Latest Battle In The Coverage Of Settlements War, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2009 Midyear Meeting, Los Angeles, CA
- Coverage For Construction Defect Claims: A Policyholder's Perspective - Defense Research Institute Insurance Coverage And Practice Symposium, New York City, New York, December 2008
- Damage To A Contractor's Work Product: Is There An "Occurrence" - ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2008 Midyear Meeting, Marina Del Rey, CA
- EPLI & D&O Coverage - What Every Business Should Know - Sherman & Howard Annual Employment Law Seminar, April 2008
- Recent Developments In Insurance Coverage For Construction Defect Litigation - Update On Insurance Coverage Issues - Sherman & Howard Annual Construction Law Seminar, 2006-2011, Denver, CO
- The Impact of Recent Legislation on the Colorado Construction and Real Estate Development Industry - Impact On Insurance Coverage Issues - 2007, Denver, CO
- Ethical Considerations For Insurer-Appointed Defense Counsel Defending Environmental Claims - Colorado Bar Association, Environmental Committee - 2006, Denver, CO
- Doing Your Homework Upfront - How To Maximize Your Insurance Coverage, 2005, Denver, CO
- Practical Advice On How To Protect Against Individual Liability Through Insurance - PEI, Denver CO - May 2004
- The Insurer Agreed To Defend, Now What??? Strategies For Insurance Defense Counsel In Employment Disputes, 2004, Denver, CO
- Author, Four Key Steps To Maximizing Insurance Coverage For Construction Defects - Construction Executive - April 2009
- Author, Coverage For Construction Defect Claims: A Policyholder's Perspective - Defense Research Institute Insurance Coverage And Practice Symposium, New York City, New York, December 2008
- Author, Damage To A Contractor's Work Product: Is There An "Occurrence" - ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2008 Midyear Meeting, Marina Del Rey, CA
- Juris Doctor, University of California - Los Angeles School of Law, 1991
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Claremont McKenna College, 1988
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Best Lawyers In America - Insurance Law
- Colorado Super Lawyers - Insurance Coverage
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Rating
- Member, American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel